Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Taco Seasoning Blend

We make tacos a lot around here.  Eleanor loves them and since it's hard to get her to eat protein most of the time, I will gladly make them once a week just for the pleasure in seeing her inhale ground beef and beans and cheese.

Up until recently, I used store bought taco seasoning.  You know the ones, Old El Paso or Lawrys or McCormick brand, in the packets.  Usually pretty cheap, around $0.50.  It never crossed my mind to look at the ingredients.

We had stopped having tacos once I had to go dairy free, since I couldn't fathom the idea of not having cheese and sour cream.  Still, I started to have a craving and figured I could dress the tacos up in other ways besides smothered in dairy.  I'm turning into an avid ingredient list reader, though, and was surprised/horrified when I read the back of a packet of taco seasoning.  One brand contains MSG.  Another brand contains milk (of all things).  There's also your usual assortment of preservatives and anti-caking agents.  Personally, I just wanted a spice mix.


So, I did some research and played around with various spice mixtures and think I hit on a pretty tasty taco seasoning blend.

You will need:


  • 2 teaspoons chili powder (regular or hot, depending on your preference)
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (more or less, depending on your taste)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin  
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
Measure all the wonderfully smelly goodness into a bowl and mix it together.  If you're making tacos right away, add this to your 1-2 pounds of browned meat (beef, chicken, turkey, whatever) along with 1/2 cup of water.  Stir well and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and let cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until liquid is reduced.  Serve however you would normally serve tacos.

You can also make this in bulk and store it in an airtight container with the rest of your spices.  I use a baby food jar.  If you do make it in bulk, you'll need to measure out about 2 tablespoons of the mixture per 1-2 pounds of meat when you go to use it.



No comments:

Post a Comment