Thursday, March 21, 2013

Brown and Wild Rice with Mushrooms and Marsala Wine

I'm all about short cuts.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  This time, my shortcut worked very well.

I needed a side dish to go with the Lemon-Rosemary Roasted Chicken.  Normally with roast chicken, I would make stuffing and a green bean casserole, but I wanted something a little more fancy for this chicken.  Through Pinterest (of course), I found a recipe for White and Wild Rice with Mushrooms.  Sounded good to me!


The original recipe called for a mixture of white and wild rice.  I keep white rice on hand, but not wild (something I need to remedy.  At the store, however, boxes of wild rice cost more than I wanted to spend for a side dish.  Yeah, I can get it in bulk at the health food store, but I didn't want to make the extra stop.  So, after perusing the rice section, I stumbled on a solution:  Individual serving cups of brown and wild rice!  Microwavable!  Two for $1.75!  Woot!  I know, I know, it's the slackers way out, but, damn it, I'm a busy woman.  This turned out to be a very quick and delicious side dish.  I could have eaten all of it by myself.  I didn't, but I could have!

You will need:


  • Brown and wild rice mix, prepared according to package instructions.
  • Butter or margarine.  
  • Yellow onion, chopped, however much you like.
  • Mushrooms, sliced.
  • Marsala wine.  Note:  The original recipe said you could use chicken broth instead of the Marsala wine, but why would you do that?  WHY???
  • Salt and pepper

The how-tos:

1.  Brown your onion in the butter or margarine.


2.  Add in your mushrooms and cook until tender.  


3.  Dump in some Marsala wine and simmer until the liquid is almost all absorbed.  You still want some saucy goodness, though.  I don't know why I don't have a picture of that.

4.  Mix mushrooms and onions into your prepared rice.  Season to your taste with salt and pepper.








Easy peasy!  And so, so, SO good!





No comments:

Post a Comment